Skip to main content
main-content

Tipp

Weitere Artikel dieser Ausgabe durch Wischen aufrufen

01.12.2012 | Ausgabe 3/2012

The Journal of Supercomputing 3/2012

Improving performance of multi-core NUCA coherent systems using NoC-assisted mechanisms

Zeitschrift:
The Journal of Supercomputing > Ausgabe 3/2012
Autoren:
Kuei-Chung Chang, Ing-Ming Liao, Chiu-Han Liao

Abstract

The significant speed-gap between processor and memory makes last-level cache performance crucial for multi-core architectures (MCA). Non-uniform cache architecture (NUCA) has been proposed to overcome the performance limitations of MCA for many embedded applications. The cache is partitioned into sub-banks, with each sub-bank being an independently accessible entity connected with a fast on-chip network (NoC). This paper presents two NoC-assisted mechanisms to improve the performance and power consumption of NUCA coherence. The first mechanism provides priority-based communication based on the wormhole routing architecture to support NUCA coherence. High-priority coherent packets are transmitted first to save time. The second mechanism offers multicasting communication based on the proposed priority-based NoC to provide efficient cache coherency for NUCA. We dispatch and collect coherence packets at the collecting nodes (CN) to further decrease the number of coherent messages flowing in the NoC. Experimental results show that the priority-based transmission can improve performance by approximately 10 %. The proposed multicasting mechanism can further improve performance and decrease power consumption of the NoC in NUCA by approximately 15 %. The two proposed mechanisms can together enhance the performance by 25 % averagely.

Bitte loggen Sie sich ein, um Zugang zu diesem Inhalt zu erhalten

Sie möchten Zugang zu diesem Inhalt erhalten? Dann informieren Sie sich jetzt über unsere Produkte:

Springer Professional "Wirtschaft"

Online-Abonnement

Mit Springer Professional "Wirtschaft" erhalten Sie Zugriff auf:

  • über 58.000 Bücher
  • über 300 Zeitschriften

aus folgenden Fachgebieten:

  • Bauwesen + Immobilien
  • Business IT + Informatik
  • Finance + Banking
  • Management + Führung
  • Marketing + Vertrieb
  • Versicherung + Risiko




Testen Sie jetzt 30 Tage kostenlos.

Springer Professional "Technik"

Online-Abonnement

Mit Springer Professional "Technik" erhalten Sie Zugriff auf:

  • über 50.000 Bücher
  • über 380 Zeitschriften

aus folgenden Fachgebieten:

  • Automobil + Motoren
  • Bauwesen + Immobilien
  • Business IT + Informatik
  • Elektrotechnik + Elektronik
  • Energie + Umwelt
  • Maschinenbau + Werkstoffe




Testen Sie jetzt 30 Tage kostenlos.

Springer Professional "Wirtschaft+Technik"

Online-Abonnement

Mit Springer Professional "Wirtschaft+Technik" erhalten Sie Zugriff auf:

  • über 69.000 Bücher
  • über 500 Zeitschriften

aus folgenden Fachgebieten:

  • Automobil + Motoren
  • Bauwesen + Immobilien
  • Business IT + Informatik
  • Elektrotechnik + Elektronik
  • Energie + Umwelt
  • Finance + Banking
  • Management + Führung
  • Marketing + Vertrieb
  • Maschinenbau + Werkstoffe
  • Versicherung + Risiko

Testen Sie jetzt 30 Tage kostenlos.

Literatur
Über diesen Artikel

Weitere Artikel der Ausgabe 3/2012

The Journal of Supercomputing 3/2012 Zur Ausgabe

Premium Partner

    Bildnachweise