Until recently, waste management in Greece was non-existent. This paper is an overview of the fundamental changes in waste management policy the country must undertake.The first part analyses the basic data on which a waste management policy should be built. It highlights the urban-rural-mountainous areas-islands dimension of the problem. the amount of waste which is produced and the relevant policy trends from abroad.Household waste management options are: recycling and composting, and up-to-date, well-equipped sanitary landfills of which minimal use will be made. The policy also involves the sanitation of existing black-spots, which are the result of contamination from waste deposit sites which were inappropriately localised and badly managed in the past. Greece has not decided to take the incineration option and might put more stress on prevention in the future. 75 per cent of hospital waste is managed by two specialised centres in Athens and Thessaloniki. As regards the remaining 25 per cent, cost-effective options need to be established which take the dispersion of the problem into account.The Greek authorities deal with industrial waste in the same way as they handle household waste: reduction of quantities and especially of harmful substances, recycling and safe handling. As eighty per cent of the problem is localised in only twenty industrial organisations, agreements on waste management along these lines were established with these companies.However, this innovative waste management plan, which is in line with the EU Directives and with the policies in other member countries, needs substantial funding, of which only one quarter has been approved. There is serious doubt as to the provenance and the availability of the remaining three-quarters.
Weitere Kapitel dieses Buchs durch Wischen aufrufen
- Policy Options for Waste Management in Greece
- Springer Netherlands
Entwicklung einer Supply-Strategie bei der Atotech Deutschland GmbH am Standort Feucht