The 1970s has consistently been considered a genre-dominated decade with studies of its horror films, saucy comedies and exploitation fare contributing to popular narratives. According to Denis Gifford, the most popular genres of films produced in the period were comedy, crime and sex and between them, these three genres comprised over 40% of all British films produced in the 1970s.1 Yet what about the other 60%? In addition to the highly visible trends already mentioned, there were some new production trends which suggest a diversity and innovation not usually associated with this period. The pie chart below (Figure 7.1) is based on figures from Gifford and reveals a large range of genres, suggesting a much more interesting and diverse culture of production than usually acknowledged.
Weitere Kapitel dieses Buchs durch Wischen aufrufen
Bitte loggen Sie sich ein, um Zugang zu diesem Inhalt zu erhalten
Sie möchten Zugang zu diesem Inhalt erhalten? Dann informieren Sie sich jetzt über unsere Produkte:
- Production, Genre and Popular Taste
- Palgrave Macmillan UK