Skip to main content
main-content

Über dieses Buch

This book provides an overview of arid and semi-arid lands conditions, their general characteristics, methods of management, conservation, exploitation and reclamation. It also focuses on how to utilize the potential of arid lands with the minimum manipulation and alteration. Arid and semi-arid areas represent a major part of natural ecosystems not only in Iran, but around the world, and mismanagement and inappropriate exploitation of these areas may lead to further gradual degradation. As such, an understanding of the characteristics of these areas is vital if they are to be conserved and reclaimed.

Inhaltsverzeichnis

Frontmatter

Chapter 1. Introduction

Abstract
One of the main characteristics distinguishing arid and semi-arid areas from humid areas is the fact that their climate gives rise to certain types of topography, plants, animals and soil.
Mohammad Jafari, Ali Tavili, Fatemeh Panahi, Ehsan Zandi Esfahan, Majid Ghorbani

Chapter 2. Characteristics of Arid and Desert Ecosystems

Abstract
An ecosystem is simply defined as organisms and their environment. The term “ecosystem” implies an integral link between organisms and their non-living environment with interactions that mean they cannot live outside the specific environment.
Mohammad Jafari, Ali Tavili, Fatemeh Panahi, Ehsan Zandi Esfahan, Majid Ghorbani

Chapter 3. Management of Water Resources

Abstract
Nowadays soil and water are not considered as endless and abundant blessings. Governments and scientists have realized the importance of maximum use of resources together with minimum losses and wastage. Water resource manSaline oceans make up 97% of the Earth’s water. Two-thirds of the remaining 3% has accumulated in the form of ice masses at the Poles and snow on the mountains. So 1% of the Earth’s water is the fresh running water, 98% of which is groundwater.
Mohammad Jafari, Ali Tavili, Fatemeh Panahi, Ehsan Zandi Esfahan, Majid Ghorbani

Chapter 4. Amendment of Saline and Alkaline Soils

Abstract
Saline and alkaline soils are usually observed in arid and semi-arid regions as well as in areas with poor drainage.
Mohammad Jafari, Ali Tavili, Fatemeh Panahi, Ehsan Zandi Esfahan, Majid Ghorbani

Chapter 5. Wind Erosion and Regeneration of Vegetation Cover in Arid and Semi-arid Areas

Abstract
The problem of desertification resulting from development of agricultural lands and wind erosion is a fundamental challenge in arid and semi-arid areas.
Mohammad Jafari, Ali Tavili, Fatemeh Panahi, Ehsan Zandi Esfahan, Majid Ghorbani

Chapter 6. The Potential of Desert Areas

Abstract
Although arid regions have few plant products, they do have other potential for production which if properly exploited, could contribute to reviving these regions and combating desertification.
Mohammad Jafari, Ali Tavili, Fatemeh Panahi, Ehsan Zandi Esfahan, Majid Ghorbani

Erratum to: Reclamation of Arid Lands

■■■
Mohammad Jafari, Ali Tavili, Fatemeh Panahi, Ehsan Zandi Esfahan, Majid Ghorbani

Backmatter

Weitere Informationen