Skip to main content
main-content
Top

Hint

Swipe to navigate through the articles of this issue

02-08-2019 | Original Article | Issue 4/2019

Gesunde Pflanzen 4/2019

Growth and Seed Production Response of Commelina Communis L. to Water Stress

Journal:
Gesunde Pflanzen > Issue 4/2019
Authors:
Muhammad Haroon, Yu Hai-yan, Cui Hailan, Li Xiang-ju

Abstract

A greenhouse-based in vitro investigation was carried out to determine the adaptation of Commelina communis L. to water stress and its deleterious influence on growth and seed production of C. communis. Plant height and number of leaves were regressed for two experiments (degree of water stress and durations of water stress) using three parameter sigmoid model. Different degree of water response for C. communis was 100%, 80%, 60%, 40% and 20% of field capacity (FC). Maximum plant height (85.58 cm) and number of leaves (92.96) with normal plant morphology, high seed and biomass production were recorded for 100 and 80% FC. However, a drastic decline was observed when water stress was increased (minimum plant height [20.83 cm] and number of leaves [21.87] was observed in 20% followed by 40% FC). Similarly, water duration responses were also considered for C. communis i.e. 2, 3, 4, and 6 days’ durations following 100% of field capacity. The results showed an inverse correlation between duration of water stress and C. communis performance. As the duration of water stress were reduced, the plant height, number of leaves, biomass and seed production were increased. This proves that C. communis growth and production increases with high water content, whereas water stress significantly decreases its growth and seed production. Results of these experiments showed that proper water management in cropping system could be an important component to deal with the management of C. communis.

Please log in to get access to this content

To get access to this content you need the following product:

Springer Professional "Wirtschaft+Technik"

Online-Abonnement

Mit Springer Professional "Wirtschaft+Technik" erhalten Sie Zugriff auf:

  • über 69.000 Bücher
  • über 500 Zeitschriften

aus folgenden Fachgebieten:

  • Automobil + Motoren
  • Bauwesen + Immobilien
  • Business IT + Informatik
  • Elektrotechnik + Elektronik
  • Energie + Umwelt
  • Finance + Banking
  • Management + Führung
  • Marketing + Vertrieb
  • Maschinenbau + Werkstoffe
  • Versicherung + Risiko

Testen Sie jetzt 30 Tage kostenlos.

Springer Professional "Technik"

Online-Abonnement

Mit Springer Professional "Technik" erhalten Sie Zugriff auf:

  • über 50.000 Bücher
  • über 380 Zeitschriften

aus folgenden Fachgebieten:

  • Automobil + Motoren
  • Bauwesen + Immobilien
  • Business IT + Informatik
  • Elektrotechnik + Elektronik
  • Energie + Umwelt
  • Maschinenbau + Werkstoffe




Testen Sie jetzt 30 Tage kostenlos.

Literature
About this article

Other articles of this Issue 4/2019

Gesunde Pflanzen 4/2019 Go to the issue